Surprising Health Benefits of Pomegranate
A new study shows that the tasty seeds of pomegranate may slow aging, improve heart health, stop the spread of cancer disease and have Viagra-like effects on men. The seeds add fiber as well to the diet if eaten. Moreover, the fruit is low in calories (about 105 for the average size) and is rich in vitamin C and potassium with high levels of antioxidants.
The following are its health benefits:
- May slow aging, because it contains polyphenols (a type of oxidant that are believed to slow aging). According to a new study, foods rich in polyphenol, such as pomegranate help extend the lifespan.
- Increases testosterone, a clear result seen in 60 volunteers who drank the juice. Testosterone has multiple benefits, including increased muscle, reduced fat, renewed energy, better moods and improved sex drive.
- Lowers bad cholesterol, due to the high levels of polyphenols and other antioxidants of the juice, which slows down cholesterol build up.
- Reduces inflammation and stops cartilage breakdown , which is beneficial for those suffering from arthritis as it prevents its onset and severity, according to published study.
- May control blood pressure, according to a small study where the participants showed significant improvement in their blood pressure after drinking the pomegranate juice for only a week versus those who drank water. It also reduces stiffness in arterial walls, according to a 2012 study that lasted for two weeks.
- Fights cancer, according to a study on prostrate cancer cells, which stopped spreading after being treated with the pomegranate juice.
- May prevent Alzheimer’s disease, as seen in rodent models, which after drinking the juice, were able to quickly learn tasks and swim faster.
Cool, L. Pomegranate Power: The Surprising Superfood. Yahoo.